States of Consciousness and Happy Holidays!
DUE ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 22nd.
- Sleep Lab Assignment and Vocab
- Article Response on Sleep
Over the Break you will complete
- Drugs and Consciousness Lab or Alternative Assignment (Due on Blog or on January 8th)
- Bonus Video assignment(optional)
- Multiple Choice Take home Test/ or Study Guide Multiple Choice
***If you were absent and don’t have the above assignments please complete the study guide portion of the drugs and consciousness unit with the multiple choice practice at the end. You will hand this in when you return (equivalent to the above assignments). Also, watch the video below!
Drugs and Consciousness
- Psychoactive Drugs – chemicals that alter perceptions and mood
- Tolerance- user requires a larger amount to get same effects
- Withdrawal – user experiences discomfort when discontinuing use
- Physical pain
- Psychological – cravings
- Most people do NOT become addicted when using drugs medicinally
- People are equally as likely to overcome addiction by themselves as when they seek therapy
- Psychoactive Drugs
- Influences of Drug Use
- Negative correlation between drug education and use
- Evidence for biological predisposition for alcohol dependence
- Use correlated send of meaningless, stress, failure and depression
- Peer pressure – most likely to use if you believe friends use
Near Death Experience
- 30-40% of those had came close to death report NDE
- Commonalities: replay of old memories, out of body sensation, lights, tunnels
- Similar reports by
- uses of hallucinogens
- patients with temporal lobe seizures
- people experience prolonged isolation or cold and
- those suffering oxygen deprivation
- Those who have done hallucinogens and had NDE claimed they are different.
Crash Course: Please listen and take notes
Note: We will be starting our Learning Unit on January 8th.
Enjoy the break and get some sleep!